I would like to say right upfront that this is a bit labour intensive; but, you will not have more fun making dessert than you will making these ice cream sandwiches!! It’s a great one for kids to get involved, too: messy, fun and no sharp objects are involved.
2 ripe bananas
3c vanilla ice cream
20 peanut butter cookies (recipe here!)
2 c buttered/sugared peanuts, crushed
1 c smooth peanut butter
1 long sheet of wax paper
1. Mash the bananas into slightly-softened vanilla ice cream. Add the peanut butter, stir, and replace in freezer for an hour.
2. In the meantime, bake the cookies according to the recipe.* Make sure they have cooled completely before using.
3. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and lay the wax paper out on the counter. Place two cookies on the wax paper, one facing up, once facing down.
4. Pour the crushed nuts on to a plate or a low-sided bowl.
5. Add a generous scoop of ice cream to the upside down cookie and place the second cookie on top.
6. Roll the sides of the sandwich in the crushed nuts. Repeat until yer outta cookies!
7. Place all sandwiches back in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
*You certainly don’t have to make the cookies from scratch. One less thing to do.